Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Celebrating Lughnasadh

As most people I've been busy with various things this summer and tonight have plans to celebrate Lughnasadh with a friend. It's very exciting. Rather than a stuffy ritual or anything like that we're going to celebrate it our way. We're making a feast, have a bonfire planned and will just enjoy it. It doesn't sound like most people's version of the holiday but I'm okay with that because it's precisely what I am in the mood for. :)

Our menu is:
Basil Pesto on pasta
Stuffed Mushrooms
Roasted Garlic Corn
and Homemade Bread of course

With wine and cider to drink.

Last night I did my own ritual. It felt amazing and was well worth the effort. I felt peaceful and elated. Quite the odd combination. I think it stems from this article: 10 things to stop doing if your pagan The biggest one for me is the very first one "Stop trying to fit your new religion into your old one". It might sound basic but the best way I've always been able to approach my Pagan spirituality is through the Christian foundation from my childhood. Meaning, the way I address prayer (Yes, I pray to my deities sometimes), the use of spending a day focusing on my spirituality, etc was all patterned after Christianity. I supplemented of course, enjoying rituals as the need or sabbat occurred, talking to my deities when in nature, thanking them throughout the day whenever I noticed a miracle or blessing, etc. And it's worked but it's always felt a tad off. Reading the article clarified the issue, I was trying to put a round peg into a square hole.

I'd decided to have a celebration of Lughnasadh with a friend. I'd bought break making supplies and messaged her to come for supper. She's still working on her path and unsure of precisely where it places her so a ritual would have been strange for her and as a solitary practitioner, it would have been strange for me too. But I felt the need to celebrate the holiday and enjoy the sabbat. So, as an alternative I thought "What do we do to celebrate mundane holidays?" And then it hit me! Good food, good drinks, great company and some fun activities. And when spent with other Pagan type people, how could it not be an amazing sabbat?

And that's what tonight is all about. :) I'm really looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.

How do you celebrate the sabbats? Any special Lammas/Lughnasadh activities?

As always, Blessings and have a fab day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? Let me know here. :)